Scientific Writing Clinic (Online-Kurs)
At the end of this course, participants should have a revised manuscript and a clearer idea of how to improve their scientific writing; moreover, they should know where to look for help with their writing.
The course is made up of three main elements:
- Linguistic components of better writing, such as correct word order and tense use, text linking elements, style and variety in vocabulary and structure
- Linguistic characteristics of research texts: textual strategies in writing abstracts and introduction, results, discussion and conclusion sections
- Self-help strategies for scientific writers, such as the effective use of model articles, language reference books, and online aids in checking style, grammar and usage in specific fields
The course takes the form of language input sessions followed by exercises, opportunities for practical application, questions and discussion. In addition, a daily writing clinic allows participants to discuss their corrected texts with the instructors. Participants are expected to submit a revised or new section of their text weekly.
The course will be offered on site. Should this not be possible, it will be adapted to a blended-learning or an online format.
|Termine||25.02.2022, 04.03.2022, 11.03.2022, 18.03.2022|
Matter Marc, lic. phil.
|Plätze max.||12 Personen|
|Anmeldefrist||bis 4. Februar 2022|
|Format||Einzelveranstaltung von CAS Hochschullehre
Sie erhalten eine Teilnahmebescheinigung.
Diese Veranstaltung findet vollständig im virtuellen Raum statt.
Universität Bern, Zentrum für universitäre Weiterbildung ZUW
Employees at University of Bern and PHBern: The cancellation of the registration after closing date costs CHF 100 handling fee.
Im Rahmen des CAS Hochschullehre werden für diesen Kurs insgesamt 1.5 ECTS-Punkte an Modul 6 angerechnet.
Teaching position at universities, technical colleges, teacher training universities, Colleges of professional education and training or further education institutions.
This course is open to researchers.
Publishing in English has become the norm in most academic fields. The Scientific Writing Clinic is a practical course designed to help members of the university research community perfect their writing skills and thereby improve their English texts.
Participants will be asked to submit a short informal description of their linguistic background as well as a formal abstract or an informal summary of their current research project (1-2 pages maximum for the two requirements). Specifics on content and also the deadline for this submission will be communicated in a welcome email before the course.
Anmelde- und Aufnahmeverfahren
You are requested to enrol online (cf. red button below). Places will be allocated according to date of enrolment. Three weeks before the course/workshop at the latest, the administration will decide and inform about running or cancelling the course/Workshop.
We request participants to enrol for each course/workshop separately despite their possible previous registration for the CAS Hochschullehre (certificate of advanced studies programme in higher education teaching and learning).
Withdrawal from registration
Withdrawal from registration is accepted by email only: email@example.com Please make sure you carefully read the regulations for cancellation (Annullierungsbestimmungen).
In order to avoid receiving an invoice, employees at University of Bern and PHBern must register with their work address.
Your registration is binding. If you cancel your registration after the closing date or in the cases of nonappearance or abort of the program, the following cancellation policy applies:
Employees at University of Bern and PHBern
- The cancellation of the registration after closing date (3 weeks before the course) costs CHF 100 handling fee.
- Being present less than 75% of the course time equals nonappearance or abort of the program and costs CHF 100 handling fee.
- Nonappearance on the first half day of a course equals nonappearance and costs CHF 100 handling fee.
- In exceptional cases a handling fee can be remitted if a medical certificate or a written request is handed in. The decision is taken by the head of the program.
100% of the course costs have to be paid. (This policy is adapted if the administration of the educational development unit can find a substitutional attendee. In this case, CHF 100 handling fee have to be paid.)
Apart from this cancellation policy, the general terms and conditions of the Zentrum für universitäre Weiterbildung ZUW of the University of Bern apply for a Registration.
Universität Bern, Hochschuldidaktik & Lehrentwicklung, Schanzeneckstrasse 1, Postfach, 3001 Bern
Telefon 031 684 55 32