Effective Presentations in English
The learning objectives of this course are to
- improve participants’ spoken communication,
- increase confidence and fluency in the productive use of English in professional contexts,
- get practice in the performance of presentations,
- improve participants’ overall ability to give formal talks, to deal with question and answer sessions, to participate in formal meetings, etc.
Some of the topics related to effective presentations that will be covered in this course are:
- structuring a talk
- effective beginnings and endings
- comparing results
- referring to visual aids
- handling difficult questions
- arguing and contradicting
- introducing and thanking speakers
- specific language help
A variety of methods will be used, including audio and written presentation of new language, small-group practice, whole-group simulations, peer evaluation and written correction.
|Termine||30.08.2019, 06.09.2019, 13.09.2019|
Bern, UniS, Schanzeneckstrasse 1:
Matter Marc, lic. phil. I
|Plätze max.||12 Personen|
|Anmeldefrist||bis 9. August 2019
|Format||Einzelveranstaltung von CAS Hochschullehre
Sie erhalten eine Teilnahmebescheinigung.
Universität Bern, Zentrum für universitäre Weiterbildung ZUW
Employees at University of Bern and PHBern: The cancellation of the registration after closing date costs CHF 100 handling fee.
Im Rahmen des CAS Hochschullehre werden für diesen Kurs insgesamt 1.5 ECTS-Punkte an Modul 6 angerechnet.
The educational development at University of Bern is directed to teachers and researchers at universities, universities of applied sciences, teacher training universities, colleges of professional education and training and further education institutions. This constellation across target groups is intentional and one of the strengths of our program.
English has established itself as the main lingua franca for academic research. Presenting research at international conferences will form an important part of the work of the majority of professional researchers. Effective Presentations in English aims to help those researchers who have identified a need to improve their language and presentation skills needed for scientific presentations.
It is assumed that participants will come with a talk or a presentation that they want to work on and perfect.
A solid knowledge of English (e. g. Council of Europe level B2)
Teaching position at universities, technical colleges, teacher training universities, Colleges of professional education and training or further education institutions.
Anmelde- und Aufnahmeverfahren
You are requested to enrol online (cf. red button below). Places will be allocated according to date of enrolment. Three weeks before the course/workshop at the latest, the administration will decide and inform about running or cancelling the course/Workshop.
We request participants to enrol for each course/workshop separately despite their possible previous registration for the CAS Hochschullehre (certificate of advanced studies programme in higher education teaching and learning).
Withdrawal from registration is accepted by email only: firstname.lastname@example.org Please make sure you carefully read the regulations for cancellation (Annullierungsbestimmungen).
In order to avoid receiving an invoice, employees at University of Bern and PHBern must register with their work address.
Your registration is binding. If you cancel your registration after the closing date or in the cases of nonappearance or abort of the program, the following cancellation policy applies:
Employees at University of Bern and PHBern
- The cancellation of the registration after closing date (3 weeks before the course) costs CHF 100 handling fee.
- Being present less than 75% of the course time equals nonappearance or abort of the program and costs CHF 100 handling fee.
- Nonappearance on the first half day of a course equals nonappearance and costs CHF 100 handling fee.
- In exceptional cases a handling fee can be remitted if a medical certificate or a written request is handed in. The decision is taken by the head of the program.
100% of the course costs have to be paid. (This policy is adapted if the administration of the educational development unit can find a substitutional attendee. In this case, CHF 100 handling fee have to be paid.)
Apart from this cancellation policy, the general terms and conditions of the Zentrum für universitäre Weiterbildung ZUW of the University of Bern apply for a Registration.
Universität Bern, Hochschuldidaktik & Lehrentwicklung, Schanzeneckstrasse 1, Postfach, 3001 Bern
Telefon 031 631 55 32
Die Anmeldefrist ist abgelaufen. Bitte wenden Sie sich an die Information.